Found a bad wheel bearing on my 2wd Slash so I ordered a set of Avids from http://avidrc.com/. I chose their Revolutions, they have a rubber seal on one side and a metal seal on the other. You put the … Continue reading →
Took the Rally car to the paint shop today. By this evening everything was painted except the rear spoiler which will get painted tomorrow. Think that is the last step and it will be ready for it’s 1st run. … Continue reading →
Been working on Digger. Added a front sway bar and switched the springs front to rear. I think I need softer springs Seems a little stiff event with the preloads backed all the way off. Started working on the ’80 … Continue reading →
Ordered the new Axial SMT10 Grave Digger Monster Truck, which arrived today. I’m planing on racing it at Trigger King Monster Truck events. Can’t run it stock so it will need to be modded a little. Will be getting 2.8″ wheels & tires. I will also be changing the motor and esc. Also not wanting to be another Grave Digger running at Trigger King, there are several already. I bought a 80’s Chevy Blazer body. Also wanted to get rid of the neon green frame. Back in the old days of RC I used RIT dye to dye plastic parts. So I took a big throw away roaster pan and filled it with hot water and poured in 2 boxes of black RIT dye. Tired fishing line to the pieces to make it easier to fish the out of the dye vat or or check on the process. Heated the water to about 200 degrees and dropped a couple of pieces in to see how long it was going to take. After 15 minutes the pieces looked pretty good. Did a couple of batches letting them cook for 15 minutes each. Afterwards I transferred them to the sink and rinsed them well with cold water and placed them on paper towels to dry. I then proceeded to put digger back together with it’s new black frame.
I will also be replacing the servo with a stronger one with all metal gears. The Tactic servo that comes with it has one plastic gear in it and doesn’t have a lot of torque. I’m replacing it with a TowerPro 958MG which has somewhere around 350 in pounds of torque. When the new electronics are installed I can finish putting Digger back together.
The diff gears for the STRC iZillia came in today so I torn down the differentials today and installed the spider gears so now iZillia has open diffs and should turn better.
Replaced the stock Wraith steering linkage with STRC Steering Links. I don’t think the stock plastic links would do a good job turning the the Proline Destroyers.
It’s getting there, I have the rx & esc for it but haven’t installed them yet waiting on the BEC.
August 7, 2016 I went to the Trigger King event to watch my friend Dan race his monster truck Lil’ Pete which is a modified clodbuster. I have watched monster trucks for ever on TV and been to a some live events. Back in the ’80’s I also had some monster trucks such as a Blackfoot & Big Bear that I raced on a road course. Trigger King is different they race monster trucks the way you would see at a Monster Jam event or some of the other series featuring monster trucks. Not to mention that the trucks at Trigger King are scale and look like the trucks you would see at these events.
I watch my friends Dan & Ross race, Ross had a brand new Axial SMT10 Grave Digger that was 2 days old. I stood there watching all the rounds and took some video too so I could watch it later. Needless to say while I was there I caught the monster truck bug. On the ride home I was thinking of what I had that I could convert to a monster truck. I knew that the AX10 Deadbolt or Ridgecrest could be converted and I had an AX10 Scorpion so I started making my parts list for the conversion. I then discovered that my AX10 didn’t have the AR60 axles but had axles more like a SCX10. Okay scrap that idea, no the bug wasn’t gone I just needed to travel a different road. While cruising the RC Buy/Sell/Trade ad I ran across a new STRC izillia Monster Truck chassis for a good price. Made the deal and it was on it’s way. Now I need a Axial Wraith slider which basically would give me the drivetrain & suspension from the Wraith that I need for my new monster truck. Put an ad up on the FB St Louis RC Buy/Sell/Trade group and about an hour later I get a call from my friend Dan he has a truck that he was going to build into a mud truck that would make a good monster truck. It has the same chassis as the one I just bought. We talked for a while and made a deal. Last night he delivered my new monster truck slider. Didn’t have the wheels and tires on it those I had and are from a Traxxas Scully. It will have a set of Proline Brawler 2.8 wheels and Destroyer tires on it when finished.
We will continue this story as the new truck takes shape.
I wanted a Rally car but really didn’t want to spend $400 for one. A Rally car is basically a 4wd Slash or they share a ton of parts in common. I already had a Platinum 4wd Slash so I decided to make it into a rally car. Not much to change. the front bumper to the low slung one with the foam and body mounts. Replace the rear body mounts and the rear bumper with the same bumper that is on the Stampede. You will also want some wheels and tires off a Rally car. The best place I found to get the wheels and tires are the ebay liquidators. For about $60 I had all the parts to convert the 4wd Slash to a Rally car. You will also want to get a Rally type body I went with the stock Traxxas Rally body which came in clear so I can use my own paint scheme.